Saturday, October 2, 2010

MPTS October Challenge

October is here at last!! The fall season is always my favorite time of the year.  It's almost a forgotten season, so short lived.  Sometimes with the early onset of snow, or this year it's been soo hot and dry.  But it is here, and with it brings this month's MPTS challenge! 
  I was super excited about this month's challenge.  Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I can honestly say I have way more Halloween decorations than Christmas.  So I couldn't wait to try my hand at making my own awesome Halloween decor! 
 The theme this month was:
"We don't want to be fairy and bright, we want to be scary and give them a fright"!


Requirements:

NO ORANGE or Yellow!!!

These two colors CANNOT be used on your project!!!

Supplies: Glitter and ribbon

Embellishment: Hand made flower

Technique: embossing

Surface: ANY

 This is actually something I had started at the end of August.  I had covered the mask with dictionary paper, painted, sanded and
sealed it.  Had even already coated it with glitter, but never finished it.  Once I saw the theme for this month, I knew it was the perfect project.  I had also really been wanting to decorate fascinator hats.  Something about them is just so cute!! 
Plus I love the Gothic feel of them, with a twist of steam punk, So me!!  The hat was purchased at a craft store, it is actually for a doll.  I then added a black  fabric flower ribbon by Websters Pages.  I created the rosette out of Dictionary paper, once glued together I cut it in half.  The look of it seemed to bright, so I pulled a little toile over top, giving it the perfect feel.  The button was found at Jo Ann's on clearance!!  And the handmade flower is one of my specialty flowers from my Etsy shop, just in a miniature version.  A huge burgundy feather accents the back of the hat, and for embossing I decided to emboss the number 31 in silver!!  All in all i loved this challenge!!  So fun to think out of the box!  Make sure you stop by MPTS to see what wonderful creations all the other members made this month!!
Also on that note I would like to announce that my Etsy shop has hit 100 sales!!   Since I left my job just a month ago I have gone from a few sales a month, to over 75 sales in one month!!!  Orders have been pouring in for paper flowers, Halloween art has been flying out the door, and wonderful opportunities keep coming my way!!  Next year I will be featured as a guest designer on Scarlet Lime's design team page, as well as a possible feature of my HOT new scrapbooking supplies on an online magazine!  Next weekend I will be selling at a local sale in the Kettering area, I will post more info on this in the next few days for anyone who would like to attend.   Life is busy, and life is grand, and I am loving it!! 
Thanks so much for everyone's love and support along the way!! 
Couldn't have done any of it without you!!
Stop back soon for more info on the sale coming up Sunday, October 10th!!
Have a wonderful weekend!!
Nicki Chicky

4 comments:

Chantal said...

Nicole...WOW!!!!! I have no words for it! LOL!!!! I love all the details...the hat is perfect!!! Skulls are scary to start with...you've done a great job in making it even more scary in a TASTEFULLY way!!! :o)

Unknown said...

Lov the hat!!!!

Jess said...

Nicky I love it the skull came out wonderful great but then you are wonderful Love YA Girl

Rebeca Trevino said...

This is terrific!
you said you covered a mask with paper - what was the mask made of? paper mache? plastic? or did you create the mask yourself? Anyway it turned out great - very "Day of the Dead" 'ish