Monday, September 10, 2012

Altered Steampunk Halloween Clock w/ Graphic 45

Hello and Welcome on this gorgeous Monday!!   Today I am excited to share with you some more Halloween inspirations using Graphic 45 papers! 
If you didn't already know Halloween is my favorite Holiday, and I can never get enough of it!
So onto the inspiration!!!!
 
 
This is the clock before I got my hands on it.  It used to work, but stopped working awhile ago so I decided to give it some new life.  As you can see I took all the insides out so that I could start with a clean slate. 
And now for the after......
 
 
 
 
 Covered with a total of 6 different Graphic 45 lines.  Then the whole thing was distressed by inking and then dry brushing with a little black paint and gesso for that old world look. 
 
 
Up top, I created what looks like the insides of a clock by using plastic gears from a toy clock along with Chipboard gears cut from Sizzix/Tim Holtz gear die. 
All hand painted to match with an aged silver acrylic. 
 
 
To make my life easier, I created a false back out of chipboard to place inside the clock.  This way I wasn't having to build 100's of layers just to get all the gears closer to the opening. 
Once the false back was painted black and put into place, I then covered it completely with Chipboard gears, all interlocking for my base.  This gave the appearance of depth and added more interest with layering.  After that dried, I strategically placed all the gears, gluing as I went.  If there was an open spot, I would try to figure out how to get more gears in until I felt it looked full enough. 
 
 
I love the little added knickknacks to the inside.  Decorated with a few gems from Want 2 Scrap and of course the wonderfully creeping skeleton hand.  The cameo of the man was cut from G45's A Proper Gentleman line..Gives me chills just looking at it!
 
 
Down below a Halloween scene takes shape.  Using the cover from a Want 2 Scrap mini book created the perfect spooky looking backdrop.  Also it created the perfect frame for the spooky pendulum that really swings!!
 
 
The little lady from Steampunk Debutante is perfectly dressed for the occasion.  With her dress of orange, and even her top hat she is ready for a Halloween party!  The chair was a piece of clip art that I had and just worked perfectly into the scene.  For stability, each hand cut image was backed with heavy duty chipboard and  given a stand just like a paper doll.

 
A haunting scene, complete with pumpkins, potion bottles and even a creepy skeleton. 
In the background you can get a glimpse of the Nutcracker Sweet Grandfather clock! 
To make it look less Christmasy and more Halloweeny I used a Sharpie marker to color over all the Holly. 
 
 
Up above, a tiny paper banner brings in the season.   Created with the lovely Happy Haunting line and Girl Paperie Banner Stamp. 
 
 
Along the outside, Skeletons stand guard with their backs against the pillars. 
These are just plastic Skeletons you can find at any craft store from now till Halloween!
 
 
I was so happy that this clock had a drawer so I could use the brand new G45 Drawer pulls!  They are just amazing!!!  On either side are glittered decorative clock hands, just the perfect touch of black that tied right into it.
 
 
On the sides of the clock, G45's metal tags add a simple but stunning look.  Topped with a sticker from the Happy Haunting line, then distressed using gesso to match the look of the clock. 
 
 
Supplies:
Graphic 45 Papers:
Want 2 Scrap: Bling, Chipboard lace frame
May Arts: Black and white bakers twine
Ideology: Mini glass vials, orange Adirondack Ink
Ranger: Glossy accents as adhesive, Black Soot Distress Stickles
Girl Paperie: Jubilee Clear Stamps ( Pennant Banner)
Scrapbook Adhesives: 3D Foam Squares
Sizzix: Gear Dies, Big Shot
Bazzil: 12 x 12 Chipboard
Other: gesso, gel medium, sand paper, orange/black/silver acrylic paint, drill, clipart, printer, Halloween décor, pumpkin pods, Old clock, plastic clock toy for gears, stamped metal star

 
 
 
Well that's it for today!!  Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my creations!! 
I hope you are now running out to find some fun little clock to alter to bring in the Halloween Season!!
Happy Haunted Creations!!!
Nicki Chicky
 
 


 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely amazing, so much wonderful detail. A fantastic transformation. Love all your embellishments and the cogs are a fantastic addition. So much wonderful dimension. Love it. Tracy x

Evelyn said...

STUNNING! This piece is so beautiful and the detail is spectacular! Thank you for sharing your talent.

Words and Pictures said...

Completely sensational transformation! I adore the little scene being played out under the clock face... the detail and attention paid to every last element is extraordinary - just amazing!
Alison x

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Wow...what a transformation! I love all those layered gears! Absolutely fabulous!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I saw this this morning on G45 and ABSOLUTELY loved it!!!! AMAZING!!!!

Nancy Wethington said...

WOW WOW WOW! This is totally amazing.

Vanessa Hayden said...

This is my absolute favorite! You did an amazing job, love the dollhouse looking details :)

Carol W. said...

Freaking amazing! Your attention to detail is extraordinary! Love it all from the clock face to the display below! Amazing job!

Where do you find items like the pumpkins and skeletons?

Thank you!

Sue D said...

Very cool creation!
I have been trying to email you for months about winning your blog candy from June. Maybe they went to Spam?
slrdowney at hotmail dot com

Cindy said...

This is so freaking cute love love love it!!!Got to fine me an old clock so cool!! Great job..Cindy
Graphics 45 lover

Ron Joiner said...

Do you still have this Altered Steampunk Halloween Clock? I am looking for a Halloween themed article for my blog. If so I would like to profile it on my clock blog at https://ronaldjoiner.wordpress.com/